Auditors found numerous problems with a Christmas charity run by the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services.
The now-defunct Giving Tree program collected gifts and donations for children in the county's foster care system
The Giving Tree audit, which triggered an agency-wide probe, found:
- No receipts for a $10,000 check made out to an employee.
- For the remaining $152,289 disbursed, $138,978 in receipt copies were provided.
- Of those 840 receipts, 799 had problems, including:
- Parts of receipts whited out, or omitted in photocopying.
- Altered dates.
- Gift card misuse.
- Multiple submissions of altered receipts.
Click here to read the Giving Tree audit.
- Doug Miller